38 Facts About Alun Kyte


Alun Kyte was sentenced to a minimum of 25 years imprisonment for the murders of Paull and Turner.


Alun Kyte was said to be a sickly youngster who suffered from severe asthma, and his family doted on him constantly.


Alun Kyte was rarely seen with women and often lived in hostels or bed and breakfasts.


Alun Kyte was known at several hospitals and surgeries, as he would seek medication for a number of medical complaints as he drove lorries around the country.


Alun Kyte would ask for services from prostitutes, then attack and rob them.


Alun Kyte was a prolific conman, involving himself in petty fraud in cheating car owners by claiming he'd 're-tuned' their cars, when he had not.


Alun Kyte pleaded guilty to two counts of deception, one count of theft and one count of making off without payment and was found guilty of failing to surrender to bail.


Alun Kyte's defence claimed that, following an examination by a psychiatrist, the clinician had "found nothing clinically wrong with him".


Alun Kyte claimed to have remorse, and stated, "I have given up gambling and enrolled at an addiction control centre".


Alun Kyte saw the broadcast, and it fuelled his desire to attack another victim.


Alun Kyte was found dead the next day at Bitteswell, near Lutterworth, 52 miles from where she was last seen.


Alun Kyte was dumped by the side of the road and was found about six miles from where Paull had been found dead.


Two days after the murder, Alun Kyte was seen at the service station posing as a newspaper reporter.


Alun Kyte told staff he was conducting an investigation into prostitution.


Alun Kyte ordered her to give him her belongings and remove her clothes, but, when she begged for her life and told him that she was three months pregnant, Kyte told her to get out, throwing her clothes after her.


The victim reported the attack to the police; Alun Kyte was not apprehended for this offence.


At this stage, it was still not known that Alun Kyte had murdered and attacked several victims.


The victim had been staying in the same hostel as Alun Kyte, and was attacked by him there at night.


Alun Kyte managed to escape and report the incident to the police.


Alun Kyte was ultimately found guilty of the attack at trial and sentenced to 8 years' imprisonment.


Many of Alun Kyte's crimes were committed across force boundaries, and there was often difficulties in running investigations into such crimes and in sharing resources between forces.


Alun Kyte was interviewed by these detectives, who decided not to disclose that they had found a DNA link in order to see what his defence would be.


Alun Kyte denied ever having pretended to be a newspaper reporter at Hilton Park Services, but CCTV had captured him doing it.


Alun Kyte then revealed that he owned a brown Ford Sierra car, the same type as had been seen by the witness transporting a dead body near to where Samo Paull was found dead.


At trial, forensic experts stated that the likelihood of the DNA found on Turner belonging to anyone other than Alun Kyte was "one in 33,000 million".


Alun Kyte was found guilty of both murders by unanimous decision.


In news media coverage of his offences, Alun Kyte was labelled the "Midlands Ripper", in part because he was suspected of having multiple other victims.


In prison, Alun Kyte allegedly boasted of killing 12 women in total, which the detective in charge of investigations into his two known murders said "could be true".


Alun Kyte is said to have stated to inmates that "you don't pay for that kind of women".


Detectives, in particular, noted that Alun Kyte was not yet known to have committed any attacks between 1994 and 1997, and stated that they suspected that there could have been other unknown victims between these dates.


However, Enigma detectives believed that Alun Kyte was responsible for other murders.


Alun Kyte was originally linked to the murder of Celine Figard in 1995, but another man was later convicted of the killing.


Alun Kyte continues to be regularly linked in the press to many of these murders and to other unsolved killings.


Alun Kyte had an appeal against his conviction rejected in February 2001.


In 2013 it was announced that Alun Kyte had failed in an appeal against the length of his 25-year minimum sentence.


Alun Kyte began to target the boy in the late 1980s and continued to regularly attack him for 5 years, luring the 9-year-old boy to his house and attacking him after promising him toys.


Alun Kyte accepted he was capable of extreme violence but denied everything, with his justification being that the victim "has got no reason to make these allegations".


On 11 May 2023, Alun Kyte was given a third life sentence.