Arlingham is a village and civil parish in the Stroud District of Gloucestershire, England.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,698|
Access to Arlingham is across Fretherne bridge over the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal, or Sandfield Bridge at Saul Junction.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,699|
Arlingham is in a conservation area, and has a large number of historic buildings, many of them listed.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,700|
The mason was Nicholas Wyshonger from Gloucester, so that the Arlingham tower was not built by any specialist team of travelling craftsmen but by a local builder.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,701|
Indications of a Roman settlement have been found to the north of Passage Road and Romano-British pottery has been found in the area, including along the river bank at Arlingham Warth, indicating that Arlingham was probably a wetland settlement of Roman Britain, possibly centred around iron workings.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,702|
The Manor House at Arlingham Court is believed to be substantially re-built in the mid 15th century.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,703|
Arlingham's mother died in 1777 and the Court Estate passed to her great-niece Lady Dorothy Mill, who then sold Wick Court.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,704|
Arlingham took advantage of this and became tithe free as land was allotted to the vicar in lieu of tithes.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,705|
Until 1934 Arlingham was in the "Wheatenhurst" registration district, after which it became part of the Gloucester Rural District.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,706|
Arlingham is on the course of a Roman road, the Margary 543 which is said to extend from a river crossing of the Severn at Arlingham through Frampton on Severn, Eastington, Frocester and Kingscote to join the Fosse Way It is believed that the remains of this can be found in Silver Street and that the straightness of Passage Road was due not to Roman ancestry but to the former existence of flanking rope walk.
|FactSnippet No. 1,652,707|