Balik Pulau is a town within the jurisdiction of Penang Island City Council in the Malaysian state of Penang.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,969|
Agricultural town of Balik Pulau was established in 1794 by the British East India Company.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,970|
Much of its history, Balik Pulau has been a rather quiet agricultural town, in stark contrast to the busier eastern side of Penang Island where the capital city, George Town, is situated.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,971|
Balik Pulau serves as the seat of the Southwest Penang Island District, as the district's Land Office is situated within the town.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,972|
Balik Pulau is served by three major roads which intersect within the town centre.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,974|
Jalan Balik Pulau connects the town with the fishing village of Gertak Sanggul near the southwestern tip of Penang Island.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,975|
Balik Pulau contains 17 primary schools, five high schools, an Islamic religious school, a government-run vocational college and an international school.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,976|
Basic health care needs of Balik Pulau's residents are served by the Balik Pulau Hospital, a public hospital located within the town.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,977|
Balik Pulau's attractions are more agricultural, alluding to the huge role agriculture has played in the town's economy and its laid-back pace of life.
|FactSnippet No. 1,396,978|