30 Facts About Frank Filchock


Frank Joseph Filchock was an American gridiron football player and coach.


Frank Filchock appeared in six games for the Pirates in 1938, and then was sold to the Washington Redskins.


Frank Filchock remained with the Redskins through the 1941 season, part of the time alternating quarters with Baugh.


On October 15,1939 Frank Filchock threw the first 99-yard touchdown pass in NFL history, to Andy Farkas, in a game against his old team, the Pirates.


In 1942 and 1943 Frank Filchock was out of professional football and on active duty with the United States Navy.


Mara made the trade with the Redskins, but actually signing Frank Filchock was more difficult.


In spite of a painful arm injury, Frank Filchock had a good first year in New York, passing for 1,262 yards and 12 touchdowns.


Frank Filchock ran for another 371 yards and was chosen an all-pro halfback and the most valuable player for the Giants.


Frank Filchock completed 9 of 26 passes for 128 yards and had 6 intercepted.


Frank Filchock testified that $500 was bet for each of the two players on the Giants to win their final regular-season game, against the Redskins.


Paris claimed that Hapes was willing to throw the championship game and that Frank Filchock considered the offer overnight before rejecting it.


In effect, Frank Filchock was banned from playing professional football in the United States.


Frank Filchock accepted the Tigers' offer, and on August 13,1947 he joined the team as a player-coach.


Immediately after Frank Filchock's signing, the Canadian Rugby Union, an umbrella organization for all levels of football throughout the Dominion, rejected his application for a player's certificate without comment, and the IRFU voted three to one that he could not play for Hamilton.


Frank Filchock was now blacklisted by every football league in the United States and Canada.


Frank Filchock played two exhibition games and four league games, all forfeit in advance, before the Big Four voted unanimously to allow him to play.


Frank Filchock was back with the Tigers for 1948, but in the meantime the team had resigned from the IRFU.


Frank Filchock left the Tigers and returned to the Big Four in 1949, with Lew Hayman's Montreal Alouettes, at a salary reported to be $20,000 for two years.


Frank Filchock's earning power was now close to what it had been with the New York Giants.


Frank Filchock was accompanied by Leo Dandurand, Alouettes' president, and the two presented testimonials from businessmen, clergymen and sportsmen lauding his conduct.


Frank Filchock returned to Montreal and played the entire 1950 season there.


The Colts folded after that season, and Frank Filchock never played another down of football in the NFL.


In 1951, Frank Filchock played with the Edmonton Eskimos of the WIFU, and for the first time in Canada his statistics were officially compiled.


Frank Filchock was made player-coach of the Eskimos in 1952 and led them to the WIFU championship.


Frank Filchock was named to the second-team Western all-stars the same year.


In 1953 Frank Filchock moved to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, where he was both quarterback and head coach.


In 1959 Frank Filchock served as backfield coach for the Calgary Stampeders of the CFL.


Frank Filchock was named the first head coach of the Denver Broncos of the new American Football League on January 1,1960.


In 1964 Frank Filchock was defensive coach with the Quebec Rifles of the United Football League.


Frank Filchock had starred in high school, collegiate and service football, and had played minor league baseball with three teams.