26 Facts About Harbaksh Singh


Lieutenant General Harbaksh Singh, VrC was a senior General Officer in the Indian Army.


Harbaksh Singh was born on 1 October 1913 in a wealthy Jat Sikh family, the youngest of seven siblings, in Badrukhan village near Sangrur, the capital of the Jind State.


Harbaksh Singh later served in the East African campaign during World War I The Jind Infantry later was amalgamated into the Indian Army in 1952, into the Punjab Regiment.


Harbaksh Singh attended the Ranbir High School in Sangrur before joining the Government College Lahore.


Always good at sports, Harbaksh Singh was a part of the College Hockey team.


Harbaksh Singh then sat for the entrance examinations to enrol into the Indian Military Academy, which had been set up the previous year.


In March 1933, Harbaksh Singh arrived at Dehradun and joined the IMA.


Harbaksh Singh was a brother of Subhas Chandra Bose's Indian National Army Lieutenant Colonel Gurbaksh Singh.


Harbaksh Singh was commissioned on 15 July 1935 and started his career with a year's post-commission attachment with the 2nd battalion, Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, then stationed at Rawalpindi.


Harbaksh Singh saw service on the North West Frontier during the Mohmand campaign of 1935.


Harbaksh Singh took over command of Alpha company of the battalion at Razmak.


Harbaksh Singh was evacuated to Alexandra Hospital in Singapore where he remained until the Fall of Singapore.


Harbaksh Singh was taken Prisoner of war on 15 February 1942.


Harbaksh Singh was among the POWs in attendance at the Farrer Park address by Gen Mohan Singh of the First Indian National Army.


Harbaksh Singh was to be moved to the Island of Rabaul, but the ship never turned up.


Harbaksh Singh was slated to be sent to the Death Railway but was sent to the Kluang airfield and handed over to the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service instead.


Harbaksh Singh spent the remaining years of the war as a POW in the Kluang camp.


Harbaksh Singh was repatriated only in September 1945 after cessation of hostilities.


Harbaksh Singh then recuperated at the Military Hospital in Ambala.


Harbaksh Singh conducted the main battle against the raiders at Shelatang Bridge on 7 November 1947.


Harbaksh Singh brought back the battalion to Srinagar and began to rehabilitate it.


Harbaksh Singh led the truncated battalion, in a daring operations in which, after a series of battles, the battalion drove out the enemy from the valley.


Brigadier Harbaksh Singh was awarded a Vir Chakra for his bravery.


Harbaksh Singh returned to India to take over as the General Officer Commanding the 27 Infantry Division, and later as the GOC 5 Infantry Division.


Harbaksh Singh led the Western Command successfully against the Pakistan Army along the entire border in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965.


The outstanding leadership of Lt Gen Harbaksh Singh had played a key role in boosting the morale of a defeated army turning it into a striking force within just three years of the Chinese encounter.