1. History begins with the handing down of tradition; and tradition means the carrying of the habits and lessons of the past into the future.
6 Facts About History
2. The area called Big History resists this specialization, and searches for universal patterns or trends.
3. History is facilitated by the formation of a "true discourse of past" through the production of narrative and analysis of past events relating to the human race.
4. History was borrowed from Latin into Old English as stær ('history, narrative, story'), but this word fell out of use in the late Old English period.
5. History can refer to the academic discipline which uses a narrative to examine and analyse a sequence of past events, and objectively determine the patterns of cause and effect that determine them.
6. History is the study of the past as it is described in written documents.