1. Robert Wilkie resisted their requests to discuss his plans until they're approved by the White House.
18 Facts About Robert Wilkie
2. Robert Wilkie avoided blaming the companies directly, and he instead faulted Congress for giving the VA only three months to launch the program.
3. Robert Wilkie was responding to lawmakers' questions about an investigation published this week by ProPublica and PolitiFact into the Veterans Choice Program.
7. Robert Wilkie knows the needs of our veterans first hand.
8. Robert Wilkie proved helpful being a lifeguard at a Miami, Florida, resort, where he produced connections in the film business.
9. Robert Wilkie holds personal and unit decorations as well as the Defense Distinguished Public Service Medal, the highest civilian award of the Department.
10. Robert Wilkie has more than 20 years of experience at the national and international level.
11. Robert Wilkie served as the Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness.
12. Robert Wilkie was serving as acting VA secretary at the time.
13. Robert Wilkie said the problems highlighted by NPR were corrected within 48 hours.
14. Robert Wilkie said the VA agreed with the report's conclusions and its recommendations.
16. Robert Wilkie was nominated to be Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness by President Donald Trump on July 25, 2017.
17. Robert Wilkie was assigned to the Committee on International Relations and the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe.
18. Robert Wilkie is married to Julia Wilkie, who he has known since childhood.