19 Facts About Samuel Reber


Samuel Reber III was a diplomat who spent 27 years in the Foreign Service of the United States, including several years with the Allied High Commission for Germany.


Samuel Reber was born on July 15,1903, in East Hampton, New York, to a military family.


Samuel Reber's father, US Army Signal Corps Colonel Samuel Reber II, was an 1886 graduate of West Point, and his mother Cecelia Sherman Miles was the daughter of Lieutenant General Nelson A Miles.


Samuel Reber attended Groton School and graduated from Harvard University in 1925, where he rowed on the eight-man crew.


Samuel Reber joined the Foreign Service in May 1926 and the next year took up his first overseas assignment as Vice Consul in Lima, Peru.


Samuel Reber became third secretary of the US delegation to the General Disarmament Conference in Geneva beginning in February 1932.


Samuel Reber was next secretary of the US embassy in Rome and then returned to the US for three years.


Samuel Reber went overseas again for a short assignment in Martinique, then in control of Vichy France, to seek guarantees that French possessions, ships, and planes in the Caribbean would not be used by the Axis powers.


In 1942, Reber was temporarily assigned to the Office of Foreign Territories, under the State Department's European Division, where he worked with Charles W Yost.


Samuel Reber next joined the Allied Military Mission to Italy and then the Allied Control Commission in Italy.


Samuel Reber undertook a special mission to North Africa in 1943 on behalf of President Franklin D Roosevelt.


Samuel Reber became a political officer on the staff of the Supreme Headquarters of the Allies in Paris.


Samuel Reber represented the State Department in negotiations among deputy foreign ministers for an Austrian peace treaty in the years following World War II.


Samuel Reber served in the post of US Acting High Commissioner for Germany from December 11,1952, to February 10,1953.


Samuel Reber provided them with an aide to make travel arrangements, but he refused to support them when they denounced Theodore Kaghan, Deputy Director of the Public Affairs Division for the High Commissioner's office, for his radical past.


Samuel Reber announced his retirement in May 1953, effective in July when he turned 50, just days after attending a party honoring a retiring senior official with the Commission, Theodore Kaghan, who resigned after testifying before Senator Joseph McCarthy's Senate Investigation Committee.


Samuel Reber had served as Chief of Army legislative liaison and then become commanding general of the Western Area Command in Europe.


Samuel Reber later served as Executive Secretary of Goethe Haus in New York City.


Samuel Reber died in Princeton, New Jersey, on December 25,1971.