22 Facts About Selly Oak


Selly Oak is an industrial and residential area in south-west Birmingham, England.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,143

Selly Oak is connected to Birmingham by the Pershore Road and the Bristol Road.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,144

The name Selly is derived from variants of "scelf-lei" or shelf-meadow, that is, pasture land on a shelf or terrace of land, probably the glacial deposits formed after the creation and later dispersal of Lake Harrison during the Quaternary period.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,145

Small pit recorded in a service trench near Bournville Lane, Selly Oak produced the oldest pottery found in Birmingham so far.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,146

Selly Oak's mother was the sister of Leofric III, Earl of Mercia.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,147

Selly Oak made his base at the Saxon, Earl Edwin's, Dudley Castle.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,148

Ecclesiastical parish of Selly Oak [8] appears to identify the original boundary of the ancient manor.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,149

Selly Oak lived on the wharf, carrying on a business in coal and lime and keeping a shop until the 1870s.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,150

Selly Oak is currently served by Selly Oak railway station on the Cross-City Line, providing services to the Birmingham New Street, Lichfield Trent Valley and Redditch stations.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,151

Selly Oak that stood there was finally felled in May 1909 amid fears about its safety, due to damage to its roots caused by the building of the nearby houses.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,152

In March 1985, a 'new' Selly Oak was planted by local Councillors on the north side of Bristol Road on the small triangle of land between Harborne Lane and the Sainsbury's site, following road improvements to the junction.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,153

St Mary's C of E Primary School, High Street, Selly Oak : It opened as a National School in 1860 with accommodation for 252 children.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,154

Selly Oak School was damaged in 1908 by a gale and the premises were condemned in 1912.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,155

In 1911 Selly Oak became part of the Birmingham Union for Poor Law responsibility.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,156

Selly Oak Cinema was at the junction of the Bristol Road and Chapel Lane where Sainsbury's supermarket is.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,157

Great Selly Oak was a new pub opened on the Triangle; however access was nearly impossible due to traffic.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,158

Original Selly Oak Inn was on the corner of the Bristol Road and Harborne Lane.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,159

Wesley Hall, a wooden building seating 150 on the Pershore Road, Selly Oak Park, was opened by the Wesleyans in 1920 and cost £2,033.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,160

Selly Oak was founded by Thomas Gibbins in 1836 and became a limited company in 1897.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,161

Selly Oak was a partner of Matthew Boulton in establishing the Rose Copper Mine.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,162

Selly Oak had its own wells and during a drought supplied the canal company with water.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,163

Selly Oak is thought to have mechanised the nailing trade using wrought iron.

FactSnippet No. 2,513,164