|FactSnippet No. 1,055,420|
14 Facts About Tuileries Palace
Site of the Tuileries palace was originally just outside the walls of the city, in an area frequently flooded by the Seine as far as the present Rue Saint-Honore.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,421|
Tuileries Palace's sold the medieval Hotel des Tournelles, near the Bastille, where her husband had died, and between 1563 and 1568 acquired several pieces of land which she put together for her new residence.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,422|
Tuileries Palace's began building in 1564, with a plan of Philibert de l'Orme, known for his work at the Palace of Fontainebleau, the Chateau d'Anet and Chateau de Saint-Germain-en-Laye.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,423|
Tuileries Palace's place was taken by Jean Bullant, whose works included the gallery of the Chateau de Chenonceau in the Loire Valley.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,424|
Tuileries Palace constructed the Grande Galerie, parallel to the Seine, which connected the two palaces.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,425|
Old medieval Louvre and the Tuileries Palace linked by the Grande Galerie along the River Seine, in 1615.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,426|
The Tuileries Palace was virtually abandoned and used only as a theatre, but its gardens became a fashionable resort of Parisians.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,427|
Nothing had been prepared for their arrival; the various occupants who had moved into the Tuileries Palace were abruptly expelled, and furniture had to be brought from Versailles.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,428|
Tuileries Palace began redecorating the interior in the Neoclassical Empire style by Percier and Fontaine.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,429|
Tuileries Palace began a series of reconstructions around the Palace, tearing down the ruins of buildings burned during the Revolution, in 1806, In the center of the courtyard of the Carousel, he had constructed a triumphal arch, modelled after the ancient Arch of Septimius Severus in Rome, to serve as the ceremonial gateway of the palace.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,430|
The Tuileries Palace was extensively refurbished and redecorated after the looting and damage that had occurred during the Revolution of 1848.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,431|
Originally designed in 1564 as an Italian Renaissance garden by Bernard de Carnesse, the Tuileries Palace Garden was redesigned in 1664 by Le Notre as a jardin a la francaise, which emphasized symmetry, order, and long perspectives.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,432|
In 2003, a group called the Committee for the Reconstruction of the Tuileries Palace proposed the reconstruction of the Tuileries Palace on its original site.
|FactSnippet No. 1,055,433|