16 Facts About Albert Scanlon


Albert Scanlon began his career with Manchester United and was one of the "Busby Babes" who survived the Munich air disaster of 1958.


Albert Scanlon then went on to play non-league football until his retirement.


Albert Scanlon joined the Manchester United groundstaff in 1950, before signing a professional contract in December 1952.


Albert Scanlon made his way through the Manchester United youth system, winning two FA Youth Cups in 1953 and 1954 before making his first-team debut against Arsenal on 20 November 1954.


Albert Scanlon was occasionally used as a right winger, which was the regular position of Johnny Berry.


On 5 February 1958, Albert Scanlon started on the left wing in United's European Cup quarter-final second leg away to Red Star Belgrade; for five of the players who started the game, it was to be their last match for the club.


Albert Scanlon made a full recovery and was back in action at the start of the following season, going on to appear in every game that season, scoring 16 goals in the process.


Albert Scanlon was on the move again just over a year later, joining Mansfield Town in April 1963, just in time to participate in the club's celebrations at being promoted to the Third Division.


Mansfield narrowly missed out on promotion to the Second Division two years later, finishing third in Division Three, but they dropped to 19th the following season and Albert Scanlon dropped out of league football.


Albert Scanlon joined Belper Town in 1966, and retired shortly afterwards.


In 2006, Albert Scanlon complained about several "inaccuracies" in an episode of Surviving Disaster focussing on the Munich air disaster, despite being consulted by the production company.


On 13 May 2007, Albert Scanlon presented the Premier League trophy to Manchester United along with former teammate Bill Foulkes.


Albert Scanlon attended United's victorious European Cup final appearance in May 2008 in Moscow, being flown to the game in Russia on a private jet hired by United along with fellow Munich survivors Bobby Charlton and Harry Gregg.


Albert Scanlon was admitted to the Salford Royal Hospital with kidney problems and pneumonia on 21 October 2009.


Albert Scanlon was in intensive care for more than a month, and died on 22 December 2009, aged 74.


Albert Scanlon's funeral was held on 13 January 2010, and more than 300 people attended the service at All Souls' Church in Weaste, including fellow Munich survivors Bobby Charlton, Harry Gregg and Bill Foulkes, and former Manchester United players Denis Law and Nobby Stiles.