38 Facts About Andy Gibb


Andy Gibb was the younger brother of Barry, Robin and Maurice, who went on to form the Bee Gees.


Andy Gibb performed in a production of The Pirates of Penzance and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.


Andy Gibb died on 10 March 1988, five days after his 30th birthday.


Andrew Roy Andy Gibb was born on 5 March 1958 at Stretford Memorial Hospital in Stretford, Lancashire.


Andy Gibb was the youngest of five children born to Barbara and Hugh Gibb.


Andy Gibb's mother was of Irish and English descent, and his father was of Scottish and English descent.


At the age of six months, Andy Gibb emigrated with his family to Queensland, Australia, settling on Cribb Island just north of Brisbane.


Andy Gibb quit school at the age of 13, and with an acoustic guitar given to him by his older brother Barry, he began playing at tourist clubs around Ibiza, Spain, and later on the Isle of Man, his brothers' birthplace, where his parents were living at the time.


In June 1974, Andy Gibb formed his first group, Melody Fayre, which included Isle of Man musicians John Alderson on guitar, Stan Hughes on bass, and John Stringer on drums.


Andy Gibb's first recording, in August 1973, was a Maurice Andy Gibb composition, "My Father Was a Rebel", which Maurice produced and played on.


At the urging of his brother Barry, Andy Gibb returned to Australia in 1974.


Lesley Andy Gibb had remained in Australia, where she raised a family with her husband.


Sigley later informed the audience that it was from Andy Gibb's forthcoming album, but it was never released.


Andy Gibb would disappear for periods of time, leaving Alderson and Stringer out of work with no income.


Andy Gibb later joined the band Zenta, consisting of Andy Gibb on vocals, Rick Alford on guitar, Paddy Lelliot on bass, Glen Greenhalgh on vocals, and Trevor Norton on drums.


Zenta would appear later as a backing band for Andy Gibb, but did not participate on Andy Gibb's recording sessions around 1975, which featured Australian jazz fusion group Crossfire.


Andy Gibb soon moved to Miami Beach, Florida, to begin working on songs with his brother Barry and co-producers Albhy Galuten and Karl Richardson.


The title track, written by all four Andy Gibb brothers, was released as a single in the United States in April 1978.


In 1979, Andy Gibb performed along with the Bee Gees, ABBA and Olivia Newton-John at the Music for UNICEF Concert at the United Nations General Assembly, which was broadcast worldwide.


Andy Gibb returned to the studio to begin recording sessions for his final full studio album After Dark.


Arnold, who had previously worked with Barry Andy Gibb, including singing uncredited backups on "Bury Me Down by the River" from Cucumber Castle.


Around the same time, Andy Gibb was invited to sing the first verse on Queen's "Play the Game", and lead singer Freddie Mercury apparently was amazed with Andy Gibb's abilities.


Andy Gibb co-hosted the television music show Solid Gold from 1981 to 1982 with Marilyn McCoo.


Andy Gibb was ultimately fired from both Joseph and Solid Gold because of absenteeism caused by cocaine binges.


Andy Gibb was all heart, but he didn't have enough muscle to carry through.


Andy Gibb was going through problems he couldn't deal with.


Andy Gibb had so much going for him, and he just couldn't believe it.


Andy Gibb reportedly heard her singing in the shower and convinced her to go into the studio with him.


In 1984 and 1985, Andy Gibb did finish two successful contracts at the Riviera hotel in Las Vegas.


Andy Gibb's family convinced him to seek treatment for his drug addiction, which included a stay at the Betty Ford Center in 1985.


Andy Gibb held a two-week engagement at San Francisco's historic Fairmont Hotel in March 1986.


Andy Gibb now aimed to get a recording contract for release of a new album in 1988.


Andy Gibb returned to the studio in June 1987 recording four songs; one of them, "Man on Fire", was released posthumously in 1991 on a Polydor Records anthology.


Andy Gibb missed meetings with the record company and blamed himself for his trouble writing songs.


At around 8:30 am on 10 March 1988, Andy Gibb's doctor informed him more tests were needed to determine the cause of his chest pains.


Shortly afterward, Andy Gibb slumped into unconsciousness and died as a result of myocarditis, an inflammation of the heart muscle most likely caused by a virus.


Andy Gibb's body was returned to the United States, where he was interred at Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles.


Andy Gibb was nominated for two Grammy Awards at the 20th Annual Grammy Awards.