10 Facts About Carrickfergus


Carrickfergus Castle, built in the late 12th century at the behest of Anglo-Norman knight John de Courcy, was the capital of the Earldom of Ulster.

FactSnippet No. 413,680

Carrickfergus was the administrative centre for Carrickfergus Borough Council, before this was amalgamated into the Mid and East Antrim District Council in 2015, and forms part of the Belfast Metropolitan Area.

FactSnippet No. 413,681

British peerage title of Baron Carrickfergus, which had become extinct in 1883, was bestowed upon Prince William on his wedding day in 2011.

FactSnippet No. 413,682

Carrickfergus became an inhabited town shortly after 1170, when Anglo-Norman knight John de Courcy invaded Ulster, established his headquarters in the area and built Carrickfergus Castle on the "rock of Fergus" in 1177.

FactSnippet No. 413,683

The castle, which is the most prominent landmark of Carrickfergus, is widely known as one of the best-preserved Norman castles in Ireland.

FactSnippet No. 413,684

In 1711 Carrickfergus was the scene of the last witchcraft trial in Ireland.

FactSnippet No. 413,685

On 8 September 2007, Carrickfergus was the Northern Irish host for the Last Night at the Proms, featuring Alison B m, Alfie Boe, and Ulster conductor Kenneth Montgomery.

FactSnippet No. 413,686

Carrickfergus is covered by the East Antrim constituency, whose Member of Parliament is Sammy Wilson of the DUP.

FactSnippet No. 413,687

Since 1 April 2015 Carrickfergus has come under the control of Mid and East Antrim Borough Council.

FactSnippet No. 413,688

Carrickfergus Sailing Club and Carrickfergus Cricket Club are based in the town.

FactSnippet No. 413,689