10 Facts About Ebbets Field


Ebbets Field was a Major League Baseball stadium in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,732

Ebbets Field was demolished in 1960 and replaced by the Ebbets Field Apartments, later renamed the Jackie Robinson Apartments.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,733

Ebbets Field was bounded by Bedford Avenue to the east, Sullivan Place to the South, Cedar Street to the west, and Montgomery Street to the north.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,734

At the cornerstone-laying ceremony, Ebbets Field said that the ballpark was going to be ready for play on September 1, and that Brooklyn was going to win the National League pennant in 1913.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,735

Ebbets Field was the scene of some early successes, as the Dodgers, called the "Robins" after long-time manager Wilbert Robinson, won National League championships in 1916 and 1920.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,736

Ebbets Field hosted the 1949 Major League Baseball All-Star Game.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,737

Dodgers found themselves victims of their own success soon thereafter, as Ebbets Field never seated more than 35,000 people, and the constraints of the neighborhood made its expansion impossible.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,738

Ebbets Field Apartments were built on the former Ebbets Field site and were opened in 1962.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,739

Ebbets Field was one of several historic major league ballparks demolished in the 1960s, but more mythology and nostalgia surround the stadium and its demise than possibly any other defunct ballpark.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,740

Ebbets Field hosted nearly 90 fight cards in its history, from 1915 to 1947.

FactSnippet No. 2,254,741