1. Galle is served by Sri Lanka Railways' Coastal Line and is connected by rail to Colombo and Matara.
7 Facts About Galle
2. Galle is home to some of the oldest leading schools in Sri Lanka, with twenty-nine government schools and five international schools constituting the city's educational system.
3. Galle is notable for its foreign population, both residents and owners of holiday homes.
4. Galle is a sizeable city, by Sri Lankan standards, and has a population of 91 000, the majority of whom are of Sinhalese ethnicity.
5. Galle reached the height of its development in the 18th century, during the Dutch colonial period.
6. Galle was known as Gimhathithth before the arrival of the Portuguese in the 16th century, when it was the main port on the island.
7. Galle is the administrative capital of Southern Province, Sri Lanka and is the district capital of Galle District.