20 Facts About Acton London


Acton London means "oak farm" or "farm by oak trees", and is derived from the Old English ac and tun .

FactSnippet No. 935,149

Since 1965, Acton equates to the east of the London Borough of Ealing, though some of East Acton is in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham and a small portion of South Acton is in the London Borough of Hounslow.

FactSnippet No. 935,150

Central Acton is synonymous with the hub of commerce and retail on the former main road between London and Oxford ; a reminder of its history is in its inns, which date back in cases to the late Tudor period as stopping places for travellers.

FactSnippet No. 935,151

Acton London's name derives from the Old English words ac and tun, meaning "a garden or a field enclosed by oaks".

FactSnippet No. 935,152

The main settlement, Church Acton or Acton town, lay slightly west of the centre of the parish along the highway to Oxford at the 5-mile post out of London.

FactSnippet No. 935,153

The hamlet of East Acton London, mentioned in 1294, consisted of farmhouses and cottages north and south of common land known as East Acton London green by 1474.

FactSnippet No. 935,154

Sir Richard Sutton bought the seat at East Acton London known later as Manor House in 1610 and Sir Henry Garraway probably rebuilt Acton London House in 1638.

FactSnippet No. 935,155

Acton London had about 160 families resident in the mid 18th century.

FactSnippet No. 935,156

Acton London was lauded as "blessed with very sweet air" in 1706 by rector urging a friend in verse to move there.

FactSnippet No. 935,157

Acton London Green became increasingly popular, being near Chiswick High Road .

FactSnippet No. 935,158

At least 600 different laundries operated within South Acton London; the last laundry closed in the late 1970s and is a low redbrick block of flats.

FactSnippet No. 935,159

Parish of Acton London formed a local board of health in 1865 and became an urban district in 1894.

FactSnippet No. 935,160

Acton London formed an urban district and, later, municipal borough of Middlesex from 1894 to 1965.

FactSnippet No. 935,161

The industries of North Acton London merged with the great industrial concentrations of Park Royal and Harlesden.

FactSnippet No. 935,162

Acton London is principally residential, though it maintains some light industry, particularly in the northeast Park Royal area, and the south near the border with Chiswick.

FactSnippet No. 935,163

Acton London has three state-funded secondary high schools, Ark Acton London Academy, Twyford Church of England High School and The Ellen Wilkinson School for Girls, and an independent school, the Barbara Speake Stage School.

FactSnippet No. 935,164

Acton London was once home to another independent school, Haberdashers' Aske's School for Girls before it changed its site to Elstree, the Acton London site becoming the Cardinal Newman Roman Catholic High School.

FactSnippet No. 935,165

Acton is the only place in London to have stations named after all four of its cardinal points, north, south, east, and west.

FactSnippet No. 935,166

North Acton has a large Great Western Railway housing estate, and the Old Oak Common TMD railway depot is within the usual boundary, as is the London Transport Museum Depot which houses an extensive collection of historic and heritage rolling stock.

FactSnippet No. 935,167

West Acton London Tram was finally scrapped when former Prime Minister Gordon Brown agreed that the long-awaited Crossrail would go ahead in October 2007.

FactSnippet No. 935,168