12 Facts About Bakerloo line


The contraction of the name to "Bakerloo line" rapidly caught on, and the official name was changed to match in July 1906.

FactSnippet No. 940,787

When work on the Bakerloo line started in June 1898, it had been financed by the mining entrepreneur and company promoter Whitaker Wright, who fell foul of the law over the financial proceedings involved and dramatically committed suicide at the Royal Courts of Justice, after being convicted in 1904.

FactSnippet No. 940,788

In 1915, the Bakerloo line was extended to Queen's Park, where it joined the LNWR's Euston-Watford DC Bakerloo line to Watford Junction.

FactSnippet No. 940,789

The Bakerloo line took over the Metropolitan line's service to Stanmore on 20 November 1939.

FactSnippet No. 940,790

One oddity is that, almost from its opening until 1917, the Bakerloo line operated with the polarity of the conductor rails reversed, the outside rail negative and the centre rail positive.

FactSnippet No. 940,791

The Best And Final Bid documentation for the Croxley Rail Link project indicates that this Bakerloo line extension is "unlikely" because "TfL's plans to extend the Bakerloo line to Watford Junction are on hold indefinitely due to funding and business case constraints".

FactSnippet No. 940,792

Bakerloo line is operated entirely by 1972 Stock, displaced from the Jubilee line by 1983 stock.

FactSnippet No. 940,793

All Bakerloo line trains are painted in the London Underground livery of red, grey and blue, and are the smaller size of the two sizes used on the network, since the line goes deep underground in small tunnels.

FactSnippet No. 940,794

When opened in 1906, the Bakerloo line was operated by Gate Stock trains, built at Trafford Park, Manchester.

FactSnippet No. 940,795

Bakerloo line is currently served by three depots: a main depot at Stonebridge Park, opened on 9 April 1978 on the site of a former British Rail power station which contains the fleet's maintenance facilities; the original depot at London Road ; and a small depot immediately north of Queens Park, built in 1915.

FactSnippet No. 940,796

When Bakerloo line services ran to Watford, there was an additional depot, Croxley Green Light Maintenance Depot at Croxley Green; this depot closed in November 1985 following the withdrawal of services.

FactSnippet No. 940,797

London Road depot is unusual in that, although the depot is on the surface, the Bakerloo line passes nearby in tunnel, connected by a short and sharply graded branch tunnel.

FactSnippet No. 940,798