79 Facts About Brian Clough


Brian Howard Clough was an English football player and manager, primarily known for his successes as a manager with Derby County and Nottingham Forest.


Brian Clough is one of four managers to have won the English league with two different clubs.


Brian Clough entered management after his playing career was ended by a serious injury at the age of 29.


Brian Clough is remembered for giving frequent radio and television interviews in which he made controversial remarks about players, other managers and the overall state of the game.


Brian Clough was sacked after just 44 days in the job, but within months, he had joined Second Division Nottingham Forest, where he was re-united with Taylor in the summer of 1976.


Brian Clough stayed on as Forest manager for another decade and won two more League Cups and reached the FA Cup final in 1991, but could not emulate his earlier successes.


Forest were relegated from the Premier League in 1993, after which Brian Clough retired from football.


Charismatic, outspoken and often controversial, Brian Clough is considered one of the greatest managers of the English game.


Brian Clough's teams were noted for playing attractive football and for their good sportsmanship.


Brian Clough was born on 21 March 1935 at 11 Valley Road, an inter-war council house in Grove Hill, Middlesbrough, North Riding of Yorkshire, He was the sixth of nine children of a local sweet shop worker, later sugar boiler and then manager.


In 1946, Brian Clough failed his Eleven-plus examination and attended Marton Grove Secondary Modern School.


Brian Clough later admitted in his autobiography, Walking on Water, that he had neglected his lessons in favour of sport, although at school he became Head Boy.


Brian Clough said that cricket, rather than football, was his first love as a youngster, and that he would have rather scored a test century at Lord's than a hat-trick at Wembley.


Brian Clough left school in 1950 without any qualifications, to work at ICI and did his national service in the RAF Regiment between 1953 and 1955.


Brian Clough was a powerful lad and both his timing and positional play were excellent.


Brian Clough played for Billingham Synthonia and scored three goals in four games before his national service in the RAF between 1953 and 1955.


Brian Clough combined playing football in the forces, though he was never selected for the RAF National team, and playing for the Boro third team when on leave.


However, Brian Clough regularly submitted transfer requests and had a tense relationship with some of his fellow players.


Brian Clough was especially irked by Boro's leaky defence, which conceded goals as regularly as he scored them.


Brian Clough publicly accused some of his teammates of betting against the team and deliberately letting in goals.


Brian Clough played twice for the England national football team, against Wales on 17 October 1959 and Sweden on 28 October 1959, without scoring.


Brian Clough tore the medial and cruciate ligaments in his knee, an injury which in that era usually ended a player's career.


Brian Clough returned two years later, but could manage only three games and then retired from playing at the age of 29.


Brian Clough once upbraided Clough for talking to a friend during a training session.


Brian Clough accepted and immediately asked Peter Taylor to join him as his assistant.


At the age of 30, Brian Clough was then the youngest manager in the league.


Such was the club's perilous financial state, Brian Clough had to tour local pubs raising money to keep the club afloat and even applied for a coach driver's licence to drive the team to away matches.


Brian Clough refused to accept it so Ord sacked him as well.


Brian Clough sacked the club secretary, the groundsman and the chief scout, along with two tea ladies he caught laughing after a Derby defeat.


Brian Clough was universally seen as a hard but fair manager, who insisted on clean play from his players and brooked no stupid questions from the press.


Brian Clough insisted on being called "Mr Clough" and earned great respect from his peers for his ability to turn a game to his and his team's advantage.


Brian Clough was not with the squad at the time, instead holidaying in the Isles of Scilly with his family and elderly parents when he received the news.


Derby chairman Sam Longson told him that it was a working trip and not a holiday, so Brian Clough put Taylor in charge of the tour instead and refused to go.


Brian Clough instructed Brian Glanville to translate what he had said to them and questioned the Italian nation's courage in the Second World War.


Brian Clough never told Derby's chairman, secretary or any other board members at Derby about the bid.


Longson found out four months later during a chance conversation with Eddie Chapman, West Ham's secretary at the time, but by then Brian Clough was no longer the Derby County manager.


Brian Clough refused, and admitted later that he did make a V-sign, but it was aimed at Longson, not Busby or Edwards: he blamed Longson for providing too few tickets and seating for players' and staff's wives, including his own and Taylor's.


That evening, Brian Clough appeared on Parkinson and attacked football directors for their apparent "lack of knowledge" of football.


Brian Clough went there a young and urgent manager who had done impressive work deep in his own little corner of the world at Hartlepools.


Brian Clough left surrounded by fascination and great celebrity: abrasive, infuriating, but plugged, immovably, into a vein of the nation.


Brian Clough proved less successful on the south coast than with his previous club, winning only 12 of his 32 games in charge of the Third Division side.


Brian Clough left Brighton less than a year after his appointment, in July 1974, to become manager of Leeds United, following Don Revie's departure to become manager of England, though this time Taylor did not join him.


Brian Clough lasted in the job only 44 days before he was sacked by the Leeds directors on 12 September 1974, after alienating many of Leeds' star players.


Brian Clough replaced Allan Brown as manager of Nottingham Forest on 6 January 1975, just over sixteen weeks after the end of his 44-day tenure as manager of Leeds United.


Brian Clough brought Jimmy Gordon to be his club trainer, as Gordon had been for him at Derby and Leeds.


Brian Clough then brought John Robertson and Martin O'Neill back into the fold after they had requested transfers under Brown.


Tony Woodcock, early in his career, was at Forest but was then unrated by Brian Clough and was to be loaned to Lincoln City.


Brian Clough got Robertson on a diet and training regime that would help him become a European Cup winner.


Brian Clough valued winning a derided trophy as the club's first silverware since 1959.


Brian Clough and Taylor both later said this was a mistake.


On 18 January 1989, Brian Clough joined the fray of a City Ground pitch invasion by hitting two of his own team's fans when on the pitch.


The football authorities fined Brian Clough and issued him with a touchline ban.


Brian Clough was a popular choice to be appointed England manager throughout the 1970s and 1980s.


Brian Clough was interviewed for the job twice, in 1977 and 1982, but lost out to Ron Greenwood and Bobby Robson respectively.


Brian Clough was still a popular choice to be given the job of England manager before Graham Taylor's appointment in 1990.


Brian Clough was keen on the chance to become an international manager, but the directors of Nottingham Forest refused to let him split his loyalties.


In June 1986, Brian Clough was linked with the job of Scotland manager, but the vacancy was filled by Andy Roxburgh instead.


Brian Clough had been linked with the Republic of Ireland job the previous year, before it was filled by fellow Englishman Jack Charlton.


Several events had strained their friendship in the past: while at Derby, Taylor was riled when he learned that Brian Clough had accepted a pay rise from Sam Longson without telling him; Taylor did not get one.


Brian Clough dedicated his autobiography in 1994 to Taylor, and he paid tribute to him when he was given the freedom of Nottingham, as he did in September 1999 when a bust was unveiled of Brian Clough at the City Ground.


Brian Clough was implicated in the 1990s "bungs" scandal in English football.


Brian Clough became involved in the scandal in June 1993 when he was named in court by Alan Sugar, then chairman of Tottenham Hotspur.


Sugar testified in court that during the 1992 transfer of Teddy Sheringham from Nottingham Forest to Tottenham, Venables had told him that Brian Clough "liked a bung".


Much of Brian Clough's retirement was spent concentrating on his fight against alcoholism, ill-health and corruption allegations.


Brian Clough considered applying for the job as manager of Wolverhampton Wanderers on the sacking of Graham Taylor on 13 November 1995.


In November 1994, Brian Clough caused controversy over comments he made about the Hillsborough disaster.


Brian Clough was made an inaugural inductee of the English Football Hall of Fame in 2002 in recognition of his huge success and influence as a manager.


Brian Clough wrote a column for FourFourTwo magazine up until his death.


Brian Clough was a lifelong socialist, often appearing on miners' picket lines, donating large sums to trade union causes, canvassing for his local MP and being the chairman of the Anti-Nazi League.


On 4 April 1959, Brian Clough married Barbara Glasgow in Middlesbrough.


Brian Clough later said that marrying Barbara was "the best thing I ever did".


Brian Clough then moved into management and, in January 2009, followed in his father's footsteps when he was appointed manager of Derby County.


In 2011, his family and friends contributed memories to a book entitled The Day I Met Brian Clough, which included recollections from fans and journalists.


Brian Clough's death was revealed to have been the result of a head injury sustained when she fell over in a car park of a hospital where she was being treated for cancer.


Brian Clough died of stomach cancer on 20 September 2004, on Ward 30, in Derby City Hospital, at the age of 69, having been admitted a few days earlier.


Barabara Brian Clough said she hoped it would "continue to be a success for many years".


Brian Clough wrote: "Many of the things Peace talks about in the book never happened and, for that reason, I felt it necessary to go to the courts to establish that this was fiction based on fact and nothing more".


The Brian Clough family expressed disappointment at the publication of the book.


The Brian Clough family declined to co-operate with the film, despite efforts by the film-makers to lighten the dark tone of the novel.