|FactSnippet No. 2,011,075|
29 Facts About Ripon
Ripon became well known for its production of spurs during the 16th and 17th centuries, but would later remain largely unaffected by the Industrial Revolution.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,076|
Solid evidence for the origins of Ripon can be traced back to the 7th century, the time of the Anglian kingdom of Northumbria.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,078|
Ripon is thought to have shrunk to a small community around the church following the suppression.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,079|
Ripon, which relied heavily on its religious institutions, was badly affected by the English Reformation under the Tudor king Henry VIII.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,081|
Ripon replaced its old textiles industry with one for the manufacture of spurs during the 16th century.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,082|
Ripon was the first Church of England diocese to be created after the English Reformation, as it was recognised that existing dioceses were unsuited for the large increases in population caused particularly by the Industrial Revolution of the 18th century in central England.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,083|
Ripon council presumed this had elevated the town to the rank of city, and started referring to itself as such.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,084|
Ripon was encouraged to follow suit, with its own status being recognised by the parliamentary City of Ripon Act in 1865.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,085|
In 1974 Ripon borough was abolished and a parish council established as part of wider local government reform.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,086|
Ripon became a municipal borough of the West Riding of Yorkshire with its headquarters at Ripon Town Hall in 1835, and remained an independent borough until 1974.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,087|
Lowest tier of governance in Ripon is the Ripon City Council, a parish council with twelve members, three for each of four wards.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,089|
Ripon was represented by the Member of Parliament for Yorkshire until it had its own parliamentary borough established on a permanent basis in 1553.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,090|
Ripon was able to elect two MPs to represent its parliamentary borough; the right of election was vested not in the population as a whole, but in the burgesses until the Great Reform Act of 1832.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,091|
Some more notable MPs of Ripon were John Aislabie, Frederick John Robinson and George Cockburn.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,092|
Since 1983, Ripon has been part of the Skipton and Ripon constituency, a Conservative Party stronghold.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,093|
Ripon previously had higher education facilities in the form of the College of Ripon and York St John until 2001.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,094|
Ripon Cathedral is the main religious building in the city and contains a tomb said to contain the bones of Saint Wilfrid who founded a monastery here and with it the town.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,095|
In 2014 it became part of the Diocese of Leeds, with Ripon Cathedral serving as one of its three cathedrals of equal status.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,096|
Part of the tradition represents the return of Wilfrid to Ripon, a decorated dummy dressed as Wilfrid is sat on a horse, accompanied by two musicians with another man carrying St Wilfrid's hat around.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,097|
Ripon has dancing traditions such as the Long Sword dance and Morris dance.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,098|
Market square is the site of the Ripon Obelisk, erected in 1702 by John Aislabie and was designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,099|
Tradition of the Ripon Hornblower has endured since the year 886 and continues on to this day.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,100|
Ripon staged Britain's first race for female riders in 1723.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,101|
Ripon is accessible from the east and west via the A61 which is the main road running through the city.
|FactSnippet No. 2,011,102|