1. Shillong is often called as "India's Rock Capital" due to its inhabitants' great passion for music.
6 Facts About Shillong
2. Binningstar Lyngkhoi from Shillong is a national marathon runner and represented India in the last 2010 Commonwealth Games.
3. Shillong is the only capital city in Northeast India to produce two clubs that participate in the I-League, namely Royal Wahingdoh FC and Shillong Lajong FC.
4. Shillong was the subject of the great earthquake that occurred on 12 June 1897.
5. Shillong was the capital of composite Assam till 1969 when the autonomous state of Meghalaya was formed.
6. Shillong has steadily grown in size since it was made the civil station of the Khasi and Jaintia Hills in 1864 by the British.