10 Facts About Ashtead


Primarily a commuter settlement, Ashtead is on the single-carriageway A24 between Epsom and Leatherhead.

FactSnippet No. 942,154

The site on Ashtead Common consisted of a corridor villa and kilns adjacent to a series of claypits.

FactSnippet No. 942,155

Bricks and tiles produced in Ashtead were most likely transported via a short branch road to Stane Street, the Roman road that runs to the south east of the village centre.

FactSnippet No. 942,156

Railway line through Ashtead was built by the Epsom and Leatherhead Railway Company and opened on 1 February 1859.

FactSnippet No. 942,157

In 1940 and 1941, several buildings in Ashtead suffered damage as a result of enemy bombing during the Battle of Britain and the Blitz, including St Andrew's School, which was almost completely destroyed.

FactSnippet No. 942,158

The northern half of Ashtead Park was threatened with development from the late 1940s and so it was purchased by Surrey County Council in 1957, before being passed to the ownership of the Leatherhead Urban District Council.

FactSnippet No. 942,159

Since 1997, Ashtead has been part of the parliamentary constituency of Epsom and Ewell.

FactSnippet No. 942,160

Clay pits on Ashtead Common were active in the 1st, 2nd, 13th and 14th centuries and, in the mid-19th century, there was a brick kiln and drying shed in Newton Wood.

FactSnippet No. 942,161

In October 1985, Ashtead was joined to the UK motorway system, when the M25 motorway was opened between Wisley and Reigate.

FactSnippet No. 942,162

Baptist Church has its origins in the Ashtead Gospel Church, which was a temporary building, constructed of corrugated iron in 1895.

FactSnippet No. 942,163