35 Facts About Reigate


Since 1974, Reigate has been one of four towns in the borough of Reigate and Banstead and is part of the London commuter belt.

FactSnippet No. 942,380

Much of the North Downs, to the north of Reigate, is owned by the National Trust, including Colley Hill, 722 feet above ordnance datum and Reigate Hill 771 feet above OD.

FactSnippet No. 942,381

In 1623, a survey of the manor of Reigate noted a "Bowling Alley lying before the gate of the Tenement called Woodhatch".

FactSnippet No. 942,382

Reigate Stone was mined from the Upper Greensand from Medieval times until the mid-20th century and was used in the construction of several local buildings, including the castle, Reigate Priory and St Mary's Church.

FactSnippet No. 942,383

Non-corporate Borough of Reigate, covering roughly the town centre, was formed in 1295.

FactSnippet No. 942,384

In 1868, Reigate borough was disenfranchised for corruption, but representation in the House of Commons was restored to the town in the Redistribution of Seats Act 1885.

FactSnippet No. 942,385

Reforms during the Tudor period reduced the importance of manorial courts and the day-to-day administration of towns such as Reigate became the responsibility of the vestry of the parish church.

FactSnippet No. 942,386

Reigate Castle was built in the late 11th or early 12th century, most likely by William de Warenne, 2nd Earl of Surrey.

FactSnippet No. 942,387

The priory was created as a sub-manor of Reigate and was granted several local farms including one in each of Salford and Horley.

FactSnippet No. 942,388

At the time of its dissolution in 1536, Reigate Priory was the least wealthy of all the Surrey religious houses.

FactSnippet No. 942,389

In medieval times, the main road north from Reigate followed Nutley Lane, climbing Colley Hill in the direction of Kingston upon Thames, from where produce and manufactured items could be transported via the River Thames.

FactSnippet No. 942,390

The manor of Reigate was responsible for maintaining the roads in the local area, but repairs were carried out infrequently and improvements were often only funded by private donations.

FactSnippet No. 942,391

The railway line through Reigate was constructed by the Reading, Guildford and Reigate Railway and opened in 1849.

FactSnippet No. 942,392

In February 1976, Reigate was joined to the UK motorway system when the M25 was opened between Reigate Hill and Godstone.

FactSnippet No. 942,393

Market in Reigate is first recorded in 1279, when John de Warenne, the 6th Earl of Surrey, claimed the right to hold a weekly market on Saturdays and five annual fairs.

FactSnippet No. 942,394

Reigate has two surviving windmills: a post mill on Reigate Heath and a tower mill on Wray Common.

FactSnippet No. 942,395

Reigate began to expand following the arrival of the railway lines in the 1840s.

FactSnippet No. 942,396

The Great Doods estate, between the railway line and Reigate Road, was sold in 1897 and the first houses in Deerings Road appeared shortly afterwards.

FactSnippet No. 942,397

The withdrawal of the Royalists from Reigate was the final incident in the Civil War south of the River Thames before the execution of Charles I in 1649.

FactSnippet No. 942,398

The caves beneath Reigate Castle were converted for use as public air raid shelters and the first bombing raid on the town took place on 15 August 1940.

FactSnippet No. 942,399

Much of the war, Reigate was the headquarters of the South Eastern Command of the British Army.

FactSnippet No. 942,400

Town is in the parliamentary constituency of Reigate and has been represented at Westminster since May 1997 by Conservative Crispin Blunt.

FactSnippet No. 942,401

Reigate has two of the 81 Surrey County Council representatives, elected every four years:.

FactSnippet No. 942,402

The first sewerage system in Reigate was installed in 1876 and included a main outfall sewer running under Bell Street via Woodhatch to the treatment works at Earlswood Common.

FactSnippet No. 942,403

In 1921, the Reigate company was taken over by the Redhill Gas Company, which had been formed in 1865.

FactSnippet No. 942,404

In 2021, the fire authority for Reigate is Surrey County Council and the statutory fire service is Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.

FactSnippet No. 942,405

Reigate is home to Pilgrim Brewery, which moved to its West Street address in 1984.

FactSnippet No. 942,406

Reigate is linked by a number of bus routes to Redhill and the surrounding towns and villages in east Surrey.

FactSnippet No. 942,407

Reigate railway station is a short distance to the north of the town centre and is managed by Southern.

FactSnippet No. 942,408

Reigate College is a coeducational sixth form college for students aged 16 to 19.

FactSnippet No. 942,409

In 2021, Reigate St Mary's is a coeducational day school for children aged 2 to 11.

FactSnippet No. 942,410

Reigate Valley College at Sidlow just south of the town is a former pupil referral unit that educates pupils that have had behavioral issues in mainstream schools.

FactSnippet No. 942,411

Reigate is the setting for the Sherlock Holmes short story "The Adventure of the Reigate Squire" .

FactSnippet No. 942,412

Reigate Fort was declared redundant in 1907 and the land was sold.

FactSnippet No. 942,413

Grounds of Reigate Priory were purchased by Randal Vogan in 1920, who donated the land to the Borough Council "to be preserved in its natural beauty for the use and quiet enjoyment of the public".

FactSnippet No. 942,414