|FactSnippet No. 941,671|
35 Facts About Epsom
The popularity of Epsom grew as The Oaks and The Derby were established in 1779 and 1780 respectively.
|FactSnippet No. 941,672|
Today Epsom station is an important railway junction, where lines to London Victoria and London Waterloo diverge.
|FactSnippet No. 941,673|
Name "Epsom" is thought to derive from that of a Saxon landowner, either as Ebba's ham or Ebbi's ham .
|FactSnippet No. 941,674|
Anglo-Saxon settlement at Epsom was most likely established in the late 6th or early 7th century.
|FactSnippet No. 941,675|
The manor was part of the Honour of Hampton Court from 1597 until 1554, when it was granted to Francis Carew by Mary I After 1611, Epsom was briefly held by the Darcy family and was then sold to Anne Mynne, the widow of George Mynne, who had bought the manor of Horton.
|FactSnippet No. 941,678|
For much of the 18th century, Epsom was held by the Parkhurst family and thereafter the lordship passed through a succession of owners before it was purchased by the borough council in 1955.
|FactSnippet No. 941,679|
The Epsom Vestry appears to have operated as a select vestry, to which members of the gentry were appointed or co-opted.
|FactSnippet No. 941,680|
The Epsom Union was made responsible for workhouses in around a dozen parishes in the area, all of which were consolidated into a workhouse on the Dorking Road, now the site of Epsom Hospital.
|FactSnippet No. 941,681|
The first authentic account of the spa dates from 1629, when Abram Booth, of the Dutch East India Company, visited Epsom and described how "[p]eople coming there took a few glasses of the mentioned water – which has a taste different from ordinary water – after which walking up and down, these had in our opinion very good effect".
|FactSnippet No. 941,682|
Popularity of Epsom continued to increase in the final decades of the 17th century and a regular coach service from London was established in 1684.
|FactSnippet No. 941,683|
The earliest formal races were run on an uphill course from Carshalton to Epsom and were primarily a test of stamina rather than speed.
|FactSnippet No. 941,684|
The section of the Roman road to the south of Epsom is thought to have been blocked by the enclosure of Woodcote Park in the mid-12th century.
|FactSnippet No. 941,685|
Epsom is unusual among Surrey towns, in that it underwent considerable expansion during the early modern period.
|FactSnippet No. 941,686|
The right to hold a market at Epsom was granted to Elizabeth Evelyn by Charles II and the charter was renewed by James II in 1685.
|FactSnippet No. 941,687|
Epsom is divided between five wards, each of which elects three councillors to Epsom and Ewell Borough Council.
|FactSnippet No. 941,689|
Public gas supply to Epsom began in 1839, when the Epsom and Ewell Gas Company purchased land on East Street for the town gasworks.
|FactSnippet No. 941,690|
Epsom is thought to have acquired a "manual" fire engine in around the 1760s.
|FactSnippet No. 941,692|
Epsom Hospital was built by the Poor Law Guardians adjacent to the workhouse on Dorking Road in 1890.
|FactSnippet No. 941,694|
Epsom Cluster was a group of five psychiatric hospitals, built to the west of Epsom on land purchased by London County Council in 1896.
|FactSnippet No. 941,695|
Epsom railway station is a short distance to the north of the town centre and is managed by Southern.
|FactSnippet No. 941,697|
Epsom College was founded in 1851 as the Medical Benevolent College by the physician, John Propert.
|FactSnippet No. 941,698|
Domesday Book entry for Epsom includes two churches, one of which is thought to be have been on the site of the present St Martin's Church.
|FactSnippet No. 941,699|
In July 1874, Epsom parish was divided into two, with the western half becoming the new parish of Epsom Common.
|FactSnippet No. 941,700|
Epsom's works include several depictions of the town, including View at Epsom, held by The Tate.
|FactSnippet No. 941,701|
Epsom Playhouse opened in 1984 as part of The Ashley Centre development.
|FactSnippet No. 941,702|
Together with the adjacent Ashtead Common, Epsom Common comprises a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is a Local Nature Reserve.
|FactSnippet No. 941,704|
Since 2013, Epsom Downs has been a Site of Nature Conservation Importance.
|FactSnippet No. 941,705|