1. Clement Attlee maintained a close relationship with MI5's director general, Sir Percy Sillitoe, even becoming the first prime minister to visit their headquarters.
|FactSnippet No. 157,018|
5. At the same time, Clement Attlee served as Lord President of the council and Dominions secretary.
|FactSnippet No. 157,006|
9. Clement Attlee was appointed as UK government official explainer in 1911.
|FactSnippet No. 157,000|
11. Clement Attlee was a was a British Labour politician who served as the first British prime minister after the world war II, serving from 1945 to 1951.
|FactSnippet No. 156,997|
16. Clement Attlee attended Haileybury College and then University College, Oxford, where he read modern history and achieved second-class honors in 1904.
|FactSnippet No. 156,990|
18. Clement Attlee served as the Deputy Leader for Labour Party after this party suffered heavy lost in 1931.
|FactSnippet No. 156,987|
25. Clement Attlee gave his full support to the British declaration of war against Germany in 1939, but he was unwilling to join a coalition government under Conservative Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain.
|FactSnippet No. 156,977|
26. Clement Attlee took in a Jewish child refugee months before the Second World War, it has been revealed.
|FactSnippet No. 156,975|
33. Clement Attlee was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1947.
|FactSnippet No. 156,966 - en.wikipedia.org|
34. Clement Attlee died peacefully in his sleep of pneumonia, at the age of 84 at Westminster Hospital on 8 October 1967.
|FactSnippet No. 156,965 - en.wikipedia.org|
36. Clement Attlee sponsored the peaceful transition to independence in 1948 of Burma and Ceylon (Sri Lanka).
|FactSnippet No. 156,961 - en.wikipedia.org|
37. Clement Attlee found that Churchill's viceroy, Field Marshal Wavell, was too imperialistic, too keen on military solutions and too neglectful of Indian political alignments.
|FactSnippet No. 156,960 - en.wikipedia.org|
39. Clement Attlee retained a fondness for Congress and until 1946, accepted their thesis that they were a non-religious party that accepted Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, and everyone else.
|FactSnippet No. 156,958 - en.wikipedia.org|
40. Clement Attlee orchestrated the granting of independence to India and Pakistan in 1947.
|FactSnippet No. 156,957 - en.wikipedia.org|
43. On 5 July 1948, Clement Attlee replied to a letter dated 22 June from James Murray and ten other MPs who raised concerns about West Indians who arrived on board the HMT Empire Windrush.
|FactSnippet No. 156,954 - en.wikipedia.org|
45. Clement Attlee remained as Leader of the Opposition when the Second World War broke out in September 1939.
|FactSnippet No. 156,950 - en.wikipedia.org|
46. In the late 1930s, Clement Attlee sponsored a Jewish mother and her two children, enabling them to leave Germany in 1939 and move to the UK.
|FactSnippet No. 156,949 - en.wikipedia.org|
47. In 1937, Clement Attlee wrote a book entitled The Labour Party in Perspective, which sold fairly well, in which he set out some of his views.
|FactSnippet No. 156,948 - en.wikipedia.org|
49. At the 1934 Labour Party Conference, Clement Attlee declared that, "We have absolutely abandoned any idea of nationalist loyalty.
|FactSnippet No. 156,946 - en.wikipedia.org|
50. Clement Attlee stood in the subsequent leadership election, held soon after, where he was opposed by Herbert Morrison, who had just re-entered parliament in the recent election, and Arthur Greenwood: Morrison was seen as the favourite, but was distrusted by many sections of the party, especially the left-wing.
|FactSnippet No. 156,945 - en.wikipedia.org|
55. Clement Attlee met Violet Millar while on a long trip with friends to Italy in 1921.
|FactSnippet No. 156,940 - en.wikipedia.org|
56. Clement Attlee was born on 3 January 1883 in Putney, Surrey, into a middle-class family, the seventh of eight children.
|FactSnippet No. 156,939 - en.wikipedia.org|
57. Clement Attlee is consistently rated by scholars, critics and the public as one of the greatest British Prime Ministers.
|FactSnippet No. 156,938 - en.wikipedia.org|
59. Clement Attlee remains the longest-ever serving Leader of the Labour Party.
|FactSnippet No. 156,935 - en.wikipedia.org|