120 Facts About Marina Erakovic


Marina Erakovic is a retired tennis player from New Zealand.


Marina Erakovic achieved career-high rankings of 39 in singles and 25 in doubles, and won one singles title, at Memphis in February 2013, and eight doubles titles on the WTA Tour.


Marina Erakovic attended St Thomas's Primary School and Glendowie College in Auckland.


Marina Erakovic became the first player from New Zealand to win a Grand Slam title since James Greenhalgh and Steven Downs won the boys' doubles in 1993 at the French Open and Wimbledon.


Marina Erakovic then partnered Azarenka to an easy win in the 2005 Australian Open over Nikola Frankova and Agnes Szavay, and reunited with Niculescu to be runners-up at Wimbledon, defeated this time by Azarenka and Szavay.


In 2005 and 2006, Marina Erakovic won five ITF singles titles.


Marina Erakovic was a wildcard entry in the 2005 ASB Classic in Auckland where she lost in the second round.


Marina Erakovic lost in the second round of qualifying for the 2006 French Open.


Marina Erakovic was a wildcard entry in the Auckland Open where she was defeated in the second round.


Marina Erakovic lost in the semifinals to world No 90, Aravane Rezai.


Marina Erakovic was the first New Zealander to reach the quarterfinals at this WTA Tour event since Belinda Cordwell in 1990.


Marina Erakovic lost in the first round of qualifying for the Australian Open.


At the French Open, Marina Erakovic beat world No 56, Tathiana Garbin, in the first round, before losing to third-seeded Jelena Jankovic.


Marina Erakovic was the first New Zealand-raised player to make the main draw of a Grand Slam singles tournament since 1993.


At Wimbledon, Marina Erakovic defeated Krajicek in the first round, and Julia Gorges in the second before losing to Tamarine Tanasugarn.


Marina Erakovic was the first New Zealand player to reach the third round at Wimbledon since Belinda Cordwell in 1988.


Marina Erakovic played for New Zealand at the Beijing Olympics, where she lost in the first round to wildcard Ayumi Morita from Japan.


Marina Erakovic ended the year ranked No 66 in the world, mostly due to her Wimbledon performance and the three semifinals reached in WTA International tournaments.


Marina Erakovic competed in singles and doubles at the Auckland Open, losing in the first round in both events.


Marina Erakovic then competed at the Australian Open, losing to eventual semifinalist Li Na in the first round.


Marina Erakovic started the year with the Auckland Open where she again received a wildcard entry, and lost in the first round against Elena Vesnina.


Marina Erakovic then competed on the ITF Circuit where she won three titles.


Marina Erakovic took part in the French Open where she won three straight matches in the qualifying draw against Ajla Tomljanovic, Kurumi Nara and Petra Cetkovska, qualifying her for the main draw.


At Stanford, Marina Erakovic had the biggest win of her singles career, defeating top-seed and then-world No 4, Victoria Azarenka, in the second round to reach the quarterfinals.


Marina Erakovic made her first WTA Tour final at the Challenge Bell in Quebec City.


At the Australian Open, Marina Erakovic beat Irena Pavlovic in the first round and lost to Christina McHale in the second, in three sets.


Marina Erakovic reached the second round of the Carlsbad Open, losing to Dominika Cibulkova.


Marina Erakovic missed all 2012 tournaments after the US Open due to a right hip injury.


Marina Erakovic began the season at the Auckland Open, where she was defeated by Jamie Hampton in the second round of singles, and with Heather Watson as her partner, was defeated in the quarterfinals of the doubles.


Marina Erakovic lost in the first round of the Australian Open to Alize Cornet.


Marina Erakovic was beaten by Laura Robson in the third round at Wimbledon, after being a set up and serving for the match.


Marina Erakovic lost in qualifying in both the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo and the China Open in Beijing.


At her home tournament in Auckland, the Auckland Open, Marina Erakovic was reunited briefly with Cara Black in the doubles.


Marina Erakovic then lost to Lauren Davis in the first round of singles.


Marina Erakovic lost in the first round of both singles and doubles at the Hobart International, the latter to eventual winners Monica Niculescu and Klara Zakopalova when top seed with partner Zheng Jie.


Marina Erakovic had singles victories over opponents from Pakistan, Iran and India, winning each in straight sets and losing only four games in total, before losing her only doubles match when partnered with Abigail Guthrie.


Marina Erakovic improved her 2014 record by reaching the quarterfinals in the singles at the Mexican Open in Acapulco.


Marina Erakovic then moved to Indian Wells, where she and Petra Martic won their first-round doubles but lost in the next round to fourth seeds Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik.


Marina Erakovic was well-beaten in her first singles match by Monica Niculescu.


The Charleston Open is the first WTA Tour event of the season to be played on clay, and Marina Erakovic scored what was described as one of her finest wins on that surface when beating former world No 3, Nadia Petrova, in three sets in the first round.


Marina Erakovic beat two qualifiers before losing to Anett Kontaveit in the quarterfinals.


Marina Erakovic progressed to the doubles in the quarterfinals, where, for the second time in the space of a few months, she came up against Peschke and Srebotnik.


Marina Erakovic then lost her first-round singles match to top seed Angelique Kerber.


At the French Open, Marina Erakovic had an easy win over Nadiia Kichenok in the first round, before losing to fifth seed Petra Kvitova.


Marina Erakovic's opening match was a titanic struggle against qualifier CoCo Vandeweghe, the eventual winner in final, who sent down 19 aces on the way to winning the match in a third set tie-breaker.


Six years to the day after winning this tournament with Michaella Krajicek as her partner, Marina Erakovic stood triumphant again after a fairytale reversal of fortune during the final.


Shortly afterwards, Marina Erakovic revealed that she had parted company with long-time coach Christian Zahalka.


Marina Erakovic scored the very first point of the tournament as play began at Wimbledon but, as she did with Belinda Bencic at Charleston, again found a stumbling block in a top junior.


Back in New Zealand for a short break, Marina Erakovic announced that she would be working with Parra Santonja's coach, Eduardo Nicolas, on a trial basis until the end of the US Open.


Clearly refreshed after her time off, Marina Erakovic resumed in the Citi Open in Washington, DC Playing only in the singles, she defeated Kristyna Pliskova, Shelby Rogers and Bojana Jovanovski on her way to the semifinal, where she was drawn against Kurumi Nara.


Marina Erakovic had to be content with a start in the doubles, but had a new partner in Andreja Klepac.


The last tournament before the US Open was the Premier level Connecticut Open, where Marina Erakovic faced Caroline Garcia in the first round of qualifying singles.


Marina Erakovic celebrated by recording her first ever singles victory at Flushing Meadows, beating 20th seed and former US- and French Open-champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in three sets.


Marina Erakovic missed the next week of tournaments after the US Open due to taking a training block.


Marina Erakovic resumed a week later in the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo, becoming top seed in the qualifying tournament, after CoCo Vandeweghe was promoted to the main draw.


Marina Erakovic raced through her three matches to qualify for the tournament proper, dropping only eight games in total.


Marina Erakovic's second serve deserted her completely, as she won only three out of 17 in the entire match.


Marina Erakovic struggled to break Dellacqua's serve, winning only one of six break points in the first set and one of four in the second.


Two days later Marina Erakovic was in Wuhan for the Wuhan Open, only to find herself with a walkover win in the first round of qualifying.


Marina Erakovic's scheduled opponent, Varvara Lepchenko, was still competing in the Korea Open, where she made it all the way to the final before losing to Karolina Pliskova.


Marina Erakovic won her second qualifying match to reach the main draw, but lost in the first round to fellow qualifier Karin Knapp in three sets.


Marina Erakovic returned to Europe for the last two weeks of the regular tournament season, starting with the Generali Ladies in Linz, Austria, where she had won the doubles title in 2011.


Marina Erakovic started the new year, as usual, in the Auckland Open, still with Eduardo Nicolas as her coach, but with a new doubles partner in Monica Puig.


Marina Erakovic won her first singles qualifying match at the Sydney International, but lost her second to defending doubles champion Timea Babos in straight sets.


Marina Erakovic was able to sign up for doubles, partnered this time with Heather Watson.


Marina Erakovic missed the next week of tournaments, opting for additional practice ahead of the first Premier Mandatory tournament of the year, the Indian Wells Open.


Marina Erakovic got the only break of service to take the first set, but from there on her second service let her down.


Marina Erakovic served superbly in the first qualifying round to beat Alexandra Panova, then not quite so well against Lourdes Dominguez Lino, but won both matches in straight sets to progress to the main draw.


Marina Erakovic's first-round singles match, against South African Chanelle Scheepers, was a topsy-turvy affair.


Marina Erakovic dropped her serve three times in the first set, breaking Scheepers only once, but broke her twice in the second set while holding her own throughout.


Marina Erakovic has now won all three of her matches against Erakovic.


Marina Erakovic skipped the following tournament in Stuttgart, choosing instead to wait a further week until the only African stop on the WTA Tour, the Morocco Open at Marrakesh.


The next stop on the tour was in Rome for the Internazionali d'Italia, where Marina Erakovic lost her first-round qualifying singles match to Christina McHale in straight sets and did not enter the doubles.


The grass-court season began the following week, with Marina Erakovic choosing to play again at the Rosmalen Open.


Marina Erakovic did not defend her doubles title playing only singles.


The match could not be completed before nightfall on the first day, but Marina Erakovic wrapped it up in just nine minutes on the second morning.


Marina Erakovic broke Erakovic's serve three games later and they went to a tie-breaker.


Marina Erakovic then dropped the first game of the second set.


Marina Erakovic again started in the qualifying singles draw, where she began with a comfortable win over Lesia Tsurenko in just over an hour.


Marina Erakovic's second match, against top-seed Daria Gavrilova, was a very different story.


Marina Erakovic dropped two set points before prevailing in just under an hour.


Marina Erakovic took top seed Petra Kvitova's spot, and won her way to the quarterfinals before withdrawing due to an abdominal muscle injury.


Marina Erakovic, meanwhile, faced Bulgarian Tsvetana Pironkova in the first round, a match which was all over in just 55 minutes.


Marina Erakovic began her campaign at the Wimbledon Championships with a singles match against 95th-ranked Yulia Putintseva.


The first two took six and eight minutes, and then Marina Erakovic took 12 minutes to serve her second and fourth games as every game went with serve through to six-all after an hour and 11 minutes.


Marina Erakovic had committed 43 unforced errors, as well as serving five double faults, compared with 29 unforced errors and no double-faults from her opponent.


Marina Erakovic injured a knee at Eastbourne and, although she continued on to play at Wimbledon, she then returned home to Auckland for six weeks' rest and rehabilitation.


At the US Open, Marina Erakovic was drawn against second seed Simona Halep in the first round.


Marina Erakovic finished the year with a singles ranking at 135, rather higher than the first estimate of "below 160".


Marina Erakovic converted only two of seven break points in the first set, and was unable to win even a solitary point on her second serve.


Marina Erakovic dropped both her second and third service games in the second set as the seeds bounced back to level the match.


The second set was more even, with both players making more mistakes than winners, until Marina Erakovic dropped her serve for the third time in the set, meaning that Larcher de Brito levelled the set count at one-all.


Marina Erakovic resumed in the Rio Open, where she teamed up again with Soler Espinosa in the doubles.


Marina Erakovic served much better, and was able to take the only service break in the set.


Marina Erakovic then took a short break before heading to Taipei for her first 125K series tournament, where she reached the semifinals before losing to local player Chang Kai-chen.


Marina Erakovic missed the Australian tournaments the following week, electing to go straight to Melbourne for the Australian Open.


Muguruza managed to hold that serve, and then won the next four games in a row as Marina Erakovic made a string of unforced errors.


Once again, with her ranking so low, Marina Erakovic was unable to find a partner to compete in the doubles.


Marina Erakovic broke Garcia's serve in the second set at the only opportunity she had, but was able to hold her own service only once in that set.


Marina Erakovic then took a break for a month before resuming in the Mexican Open in Acapulco.


The tour then moved to the Miami Open, where Marina Erakovic won through qualifying against Naomi Broady and Francoise Abanda before facing Shelby Rogers in the first round.


Marina Erakovic's second serve let her down badly after the first set, her 13 double-faults costing her the match.


At the Premier-level Charleston Open, the only WTA tournament played on green clay, Marina Erakovic was able to get into the main draw as the last direct acceptance, and faced Tunisian lucky loser Ons Jabeur in her first-round match.


Marina Erakovic appeared to strain her neck during the first set, and required a medical time-out as well as a couple of other treatments from the physio.


Marina Erakovic then dropped to the ITF Circuit the following week when, seeded fourth in singles, she lost in three sets in the first round at Indian Harbour Beach to Sesil Karatantcheva.


Marina Erakovic played doubles, for the first time since Auckland, with Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak as her partner.


Marina Erakovic then returned to Auckland for rest and treatment of her neck injury, having confirmed that she would be in the main draw at the French Open, although relegated to the qualifying tournament for Wimbledon.


Marina Erakovic resumed tournament play at Nurnberg, losing in the first round of qualifying to Aleksandrina Naydenova, before moving to Paris.


The result was enough to improve Marina Erakovic's ranking by nearly 50 places, bringing her back inside the top 200.


Less than four hours later, Marina Erakovic was more than a hundred kilometres away in Ilkley, West Yorkshire, to start the next tournament in the series.


Marina Erakovic flew home for a short break, before heading to the US and an ITF tournament in California.


At the Sacramento tournament, after winning the first set in her opening match against Jennifer Elie, Marina Erakovic dropped the second set and was forced to retire with an injury.


Marina Erakovic had better luck at the Coupe Banque Nationale in Quebec, where she won her first round singles match against Alla Kudryavtseva before losing to eventual champion Alison Van Uytvanck, in a match which was riddled with errors from both players.


Marina Erakovic played doubles, with Julia Glushko, meeting the fourth seeds Naomi Broady and Asia Muhammad in the first round.


Marina Erakovic saved two match points in the final game, but that wasn't enough.


Marina Erakovic then had four weeks off, before returning in an ITF tournament in Macon, Georgia.


Marina Erakovic lost in the first round in both singles and doubles, and followed that up with another first-round loss two weeks later in Waco, Texas, Eikeri again proving her nemesis.


Marina Erakovic's doubles ranking had started the year on the back foot in any case, due to a lack of play in 2016.


Marina Erakovic's ranking slid all the way to 290, the lowest it had been for eight years.


Marina Erakovic used Wilson K Blade tennis rackets and wore Fila apparel.