26 Facts About Babe Dye


Babe Dye began his professional ice hockey career with the Toronto St Patricks in 1919.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,349

In 1927, Babe Dye suffered a major leg injury during training camp, and did not return to play until the last 10 games of that season.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,350

Babe Dye's production dropped significantly as a result of his leg injury, and was reassigned to the Americans' minor league affiliate, the New Haven Eagles in 1929.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,351

The next year, Babe Dye signed as a free agent with the first professional team he played for, since renamed the Maple Leafs.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,352

Babe Dye played six games with the Maple Leafs before he retired from the sport.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,353

Babe Dye won his only Stanley Cup with the St Patricks, in 1922.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,354

Babe Dye was posthumously inducted as a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1970, eight years after his death.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,355

Babe Dye was a halfback for the Toronto Argonauts, a Canadian football team.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,356

Babe Dye credited his goal-scoring abilities to his mother, who had built Babe Dye an outdoor rink, as well as ensuring that he completed his skating and shooting drills.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,357

Babe Dye played junior hockey from 1916 to 1918 for the Toronto Aura Lee and Toronto De La Salle of the Ontario Hockey Association.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,358

Babe Dye enlisted in the Canadian military on May 3,1918, joining the 69th Battery of the Canadian Field Artillery; Dye trained at a base in Petawawa, Ontario but did not leave Canada during the war.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,359

Babe Dye was recalled back to Toronto after one game with Hamilton, as the team needed him to replace the injured Corb Denneny.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,360

Babe Dye led the St Patricks to Stanley Cup championship in 1922, scoring nine goals in the five-game final series.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,361

In 1926, Dye was inadvertently responsible for Conn Smythe's dismissal from the New York Rangers, after Smythe disagreed with the Rangers' owner, John S Hammond, about acquiring Dye.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,362

At training camp before the next season, Babe Dye's leg was broken and he was never the same player again.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,363

Babe Dye was a professional baseball player, beginning his career with the Toronto Maple Leafs of the International League in 1920.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,364

Babe Dye was sent to Brantford of the Class B Michigan-Ontario League, popularly known as the Mint League.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,365

Babe Dye had a strong season with the Bisons in 1923, and was then considered a top prospect for the major leagues.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,366

In September 1923, Babe Dye announced that he was retiring from hockey to focus on baseball, but when the hockey season started he re-signed with the St Pats.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,367

Babe Dye again played for the Bisons in 1925, and was sold to the baseball Leafs after the end of the season.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,368

Babe Dye was released by Toronto in July 1926 and signed by the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, where he finished his baseball career that year.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,369

Babe Dye's release was so quick that, on occasion, his goals would be in dispute because neither the linesmen, referee or goaltender had seen them enter the net.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,370

Babe Dye used this stick and his wrist strength to propel the puck at occasionally dangerous speeds, and his "wicked drives" and shots that goalies "could not see" were mentioned many times in game summaries.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,371

Sprague Cleghorn claimed that Babe Dye was the best shot of anyone he'd ever seen, and Adams rated him as superior in ability to Bryan Hextall, Grindy Forrester, Didier Pitre, Carson "Shovel-Shot" Cooper and even Charlie Conacher: "Dye was the peer of them all".

FactSnippet No. 2,176,372

Babe Dye said the player was determined to go and there was nothing he could do about it.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,373

Babe Dye died at the age of 63 in Chicago, where he had been hospitalized for several months following a heart attack.

FactSnippet No. 2,176,374