1. Several Dalit groups are rivals and sometimes communal tensions are evident.
5 Facts About Dalit
2. Narayanan, who was a Dalit, was elected as President of India.
3. Hindu temples are increasingly receptive to Dalit priests, a function formerly reserved for Brahmins.
4. Dalit has become a political identity, similar to how the LGBTQ community reclaimed queer from its pejorative use as a neutral or positive self-identifier and as a political identity.
5. Dalit is mostly used to describe communities that have been subjected to untouchability.