|FactSnippet No. 1,082,010|
16 Facts About Lambeth
Lambeth is home to one of the largest Portuguese-speaking communities in the UK, and is the second most commonly spoken language in Lambeth after English.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,011|
South Lambeth is recorded as Sutlamehethe in 1241 and North Lambeth is recorded in 1319 as North Lamhuth.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,012|
Manor of Lambeth is recorded as being under ownership of the Archbishop of Canterbury from at least 1190.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,013|
Until the mid-18th century the north of Lambeth was marshland, crossed by a number of roads raised against floods.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,015|
Until the 18th century Lambeth was sparsely populated and still rural in nature, being outside the boundaries of central London, although it had experienced growth in the form of taverns and entertainment venues, such as theatres and Bear pits .
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,016|
The Lambeth factory closed in 1956 and production was transferred to Staffordshire.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,017|
Lambeth Walk was site of a market for many years, which by 1938 had 159 shops, including 11 butchers.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,018|
Lambeth became part of the Metropolitan Police District in 1829.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,020|
Beaconsfield gallery is a public contemporary art gallery in Lambeth, which was established in 1995 and specialises in temporary exhibitions and art classes.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,023|
Lambeth Walk Open Space is a small public park to the east of Lambeth on Fitzalan Walk and includes several open spaces and play areas.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,024|
Pedlars' Park is another small public park in Lambeth, which was created in 1968 on the site of the former St Saviour's Salamanca Street School.
|FactSnippet No. 1,082,025|