12 Facts About ESPN Inc


ESPN Inc is an American multinational sports media conglomerate majority-owned by The Walt Disney Company, with Hearst Communications as an equity stakeholder.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,422

ESPN Inc was founded in 1979 by Bill Rasmussen, initially as an attempt to broadcast Connecticut sports over an "Entertainment and Sports Programming Network" cable channel, and soon became a nationwide cable sports network.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,423

ESPN Inc was the largest cable channel by the end of 1983 with 28.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,424

ESPN Inc started out expanding into other nations and additional channels.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,425

ESPN Inc partnered with TF1 and Canal+ for a made over Eurosport to enter Europe.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,426

Disney purchased the stake to first develop an ESPN Inc-branded subscription streaming service, later named ESPN Inc+.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,427

Under the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's rules regarding foreign broadcasters, ESPN Inc has been prohibited from acquiring majority ownership of any channel operating in Canada.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,428

ESPN Inc continues to own 20 percent of what is CTV Specialty Television while Bell Media owns the remaining 80 percent.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,429

In 2006, ESPN Inc acquired the North American Sports Network, later re-branded as ESPN Inc America in 2008.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,430

ESPN Inc launched a domestic channel in the United Kingdom after acquiring a portion of the local rights package to the Premier League alongside Sky Sports, replacing the now-collapsed Setanta Sports.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,431

On January 25,2013, ESPN reached a deal to sell its television business in the United Kingdom and Ireland, including ESPN America's programming rights, to BT Group.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,432

Two years later, ESPN Inc reached a long-term deal with BT Sport for the British rights to ESPN Inc original programming and international event rights.

FactSnippet No. 1,573,433