1. Puducherry was apparently an important destination for Roman trade with India.
12 Facts About Puducherry
2. Puducherry has history recorded only after the advent of the colonial powers such as the Dutch, Portuguese, English and the French.
3. Puducherry has a network all weather metalled roads connecting the territory.
4. Puducherry is connected by a railway branch line from the five-way junction at Viluppuram and Chennai.
5. Puducherry was the residence of Sri Aurobindo and the Sri Aurobindo Ashram still operates from Puducherry.
6. Puducherry is one of the most popular tourist spots for national and international tourists.
7. Puducherry has residents with French passports: Most are of Indian descent and a small number are of non-Indian descent.
8. Consequently, Puducherry has at various times, enjoyed lower taxes, especially in the indirect category.
9. Puducherry is a Union Territory of India rather than a state, which implies that governance and administration falls directly under federal authority.
10. All four regions of Puducherry are located in the coastal region.
11. Puducherry is the 29th most populous and the third most densely populated of the states and union territories of India.
12. Puducherry lies in the southern part of the Indian Peninsula.