13 Facts About CSX


CSX Transportation, known colloquially as simply CSX, is a Class I freight railroad operating in the Eastern United States and the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,034

CSX operates as the leading subsidiary of CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,035

CSX Corporation was formed in 1980 from the merger of Chessie System and Seaboard Coast Line Industries, two holding companies which controlled a number of railroads operating in the Eastern United States.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,036

In 1999, CSX Transportation acquired approximately half of Conrail, in a joint purchase with competitor Norfolk Southern Railway.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,037

CSX chairmen said it was important for the new name to include neither of those names because it was a partnership.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,038

CSX acquired 42 percent of Conrail's assets, and NS received the remaining 58 percent.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,039

CSX now serves much of the Eastern United States, with a few routes into nearby Canadian cities.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,040

In 2017, CSX announced Hunter Harrison would become its new chief executive officer; a settlement with activist investor Paul Hilal and Mantle Ridge.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,041

CSX added five new directors to their board, including Harrison and Mantle Ridge founder Paul Hilal.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,042

CSX operated the Juice Train which consisted of Tropicana cars that carried fresh orange juice between Bradenton, Florida, and the Greenville section of Jersey City, New Jersey.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,043

CSX has partnered with Wabtec to rebuild GE locomotives at their Fort Worth facility with prime movers upgraded to the FDL Advantage spec and new electronic controls such as the Wabtec Trip Optimizer Zero-to-Zero system.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,044

CSX ordered ten SD70ACe-T4s in August 2018, which were delivered in July the following year.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,045

CSX has a contract with Wabtec for modernizing their fleet of CW44s.

FactSnippet No. 1,332,046