25 Facts About Leslie Street


Bathurst Leslie Street is named after Henry Bathurst, 3rd Earl Bathurst, who was British Secretary of War during the reign of George IV.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,228

Bay Leslie Street, formerly known as Bear Leslie Street, is supposedly a reference to a "noted chase given to a bear" by settlers in that area.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,229

Beverley Leslie Street is a continuation of St George Leslie Street, located a few metres east of it.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,230

Church Leslie Street is so named because where St James Cathedral sits upon today, at King Leslie Street and Church, was the site of the first church in York, a wooden building built in 1807 and referred to simply as "the church".

FactSnippet No. 1,649,231

Dufferin Leslie Street, known as the Side Line until 1876, was renamed in honour of Governor General Frederick Temple Blackwood, Lord Dufferin.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,232

Dufferin Leslie Street begins at Exhibition Place and travels north into Vaughan.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,233

Leslie Street selected Islington, after her birthplace near London, England.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,234

Jane Leslie Street is a north–south thoroughfare in western Toronto, Ontario, Canada, that begins at Bloor Leslie Street and continues north into Vaughan to near the Holland River in King Township.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,235

Leslie Street was arrested as a result, but later acquitted, after which he took over his father's position.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,236

Mutual Leslie Street was established at the same time on the property line between the former rivals.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,237

Jarvis Leslie Street begins at Queen's Quay north of the Lake Ontario shoreline.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,238

Keele Leslie Street has two jogs within Toronto: one between St Clair Avenue and Rogers Road and another one block north of Eglinton Avenue.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,239

Leslie Street played a large role in the creation of Leaside, where Laird Dr is found.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,240

The road continues north past Dupont Leslie Street, then passes beneath the CPR Midtown line before ending at St Clair Avenue West.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,241

Leslie Street, which has four separate sections, begins at Lake Ontario at the foot of the Leslie Street Spit.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,242

Section of Leslie was re-routed from Highway 401 to Sheppard Avenue East and resulted in short stub called Old Leslie Street located northwest from Esther Shiner Drive to just north of Sheppard Avenue.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,243

North of there, Leslie Street is a local road and ends shortly thereafter north of Waterloo Court in Wycliffe Park.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,244

The fourth segment continues as an arterial road north of John Street in Markham, where Don Mills Road becomes Leslie Street, briefly interrupted at Stouffville Road and continues all the way to just south of Keswick at Ravenshoe Road where it becomes The Queensway South.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,245

Main Leslie Street used to be the central street of the independent town of East Toronto.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,246

John Denison moved to York and built Brookfield House at a corner on Dundas Leslie Street, which is the intersection of Queen Leslie Street West and Ossington Avenue.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,247

Dundas Leslie Street then followed what is Queen Leslie Street West and then Ossington Avenue, obstructed by the valley of Garrison Creek.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,248

Parliament Leslie Street was the site of the original Parliament Buildings of Upper Canada, constructed on Front Leslie Street between Berkeley and Parliament by 1797 under the orders of John Graves Simcoe.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,249

Parliament Leslie Street begins at Lake Shore Boulevard East, where it continues southwest as Queen's Quay, and travels north along the eastern outskirts of downtown Toronto.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,250

Sherbourne Leslie Street was named by Samuel Ridout in 1845 after the town in Dorset, England; the Ridout family emigrated from Sherborne.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,251

Yonge Leslie Street then starts up again at the intersection with an unnamed road and then continues north to Ravenshoe Road, just west of Keswick, where it finally ends.

FactSnippet No. 1,649,252