1. Black doctors, lawyers and other businessmen were the foundation of the Black middle class.
14 Facts About Black
2. Black is commonly used as a racial description in the United Kingdom, since ethnicity was first measured in the 2001 census.
3. Black evening dress is still worn at many solemn occasions or ceremonies, from graduations to formal balls.
4. Black was said to symbolize the dark time of occupation, and white the bright future of independence.
5. Black is the absorption of all colors of light, or an exhaustive combination of multiple colors of pigment.
6. Black can be defined as the visual impression experienced when no visible light reaches the eye.
7. Black evening dress and formal dress in general were worn less and less.
8. Black's painting of black crows over a cornfield, painted shortly before he died, was particularly agitated and haunting.
9. Black dominated literature and fashion in the 19th century, and played a large role in painting.
10. Black was the color of melancholy, the dominant theme of romanticism.
11. Black was rarely part of the wardrobe of a noble family.
12. Black was one of the most important colors used by ancient Greek artists.
13. Black was one of the first colors used by artists in neolithic cave paintings.
14. Black is the darkest color, the result of the absence or complete absorption of visible light.