1. The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan in December 1979 to shore up the pro-Soviet regime in Kabul.
FactSnippet No. 943,643
2. The Soviet Union had to resolve similar conflicts with the newly established Republic of Finland, the Republic of Estonia, the Republic of Latvia, and the Republic of Lithuania which had all escaped the empire during the civil war.
FactSnippet No. 695,519
3. The Soviet Union was officially created in December 1922 as the union of the Russian, Ukrainian, Belarusian, and Transcaucasian Soviet republics ruled by the communist Bolshevik parties.
FactSnippet No. 695,518
4. The Soviet Union was formed with an idea to give everyone equal social and economic rights.
FactSnippet No. 695,516
5. The Soviet Union took an early lead in the Space Race, with the first artificial satellite, the first human spaceflight, and successfully launched the first and so far the only probe to planet Venus.
FactSnippet No. 695,512 - en.wikipedia.org
6. The Soviet Union used the inquisitorial system of Roman law, where the judge, procurator, and defense attorney collaborate to establish the truth.
FactSnippet No. 426,186 - en.wikipedia.org
7. The Soviet Union included most of the world's largest lakes; the Caspian Sea, and Lake Baikal, the world's largest and deepest freshwater lake that is an internal body of water in Russia.
FactSnippet No. 426,181 - en.wikipedia.org
8. The Soviet Union took an early lead in the Space Race, with the first artificial satellite, the first human spaceflight, and successfuly launched the first and so far the only probe to planet Venus.