1. Latin America has produced world-class classical performers such as the Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau, Brazilian pianist Nelson Freire and the Argentine pianist and conductor Daniel Barenboim.
12 Facts About Latin America
2. Latin America has produced many successful worldwide artists in terms of recorded global music sales.
3. Latin America is the region with the highest levels of income inequality in the world.
4. Since 1980, Latin America lost growth versus the world average.
5. Inhabitants of Latin America are of a variety of ancestries, ethnic groups, and races, making the region one of the most diverse in the world.
6. Latin America was more concerned with issues of economic development, while the United States focused on fighting communism, even though the presence of communism was small in Latin America.
7. Mita of Colonial Latin America was a system of forced labor imposed on the natives.
8. Latin America can be subdivided into several subregions based on geography, politics, demographics and culture.
9. For Bilbao, "Latin America" was not a geographical concept, since he excluded Brazil, Paraguay and Mexico.
10. Term "Latin America" was first used in 1856 in a conference by the Chilean politician Francisco Bilbao in Paris.
11. Latin America consists of 13 dependencies and 20 countries which cover an area that stretches from the northern border of Mexico to the southern tip of South America, including the Caribbean.
12. Latin America is a group of countries and dependencies in the Western Hemisphere where Romance languages such as Spanish, French and Portuguese are predominantly spoken; it is broader than the terms Ibero-America or Hispanic America.